Please Note

All images of my art work are subject to copyright. Please do not reproduce these images unless specific permission has been given.

Thursday 10 February 2011

The Budhisattva


The Budhisattva, my eternal confidante.

Many years ago I happened across a wooden sculpture of a Budhisattva. When she came into sight everything else dropped away and a feeling of calm came over me such as I had never experienced before. 

I thought she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, I still do. 

She still sits serene and silent in the museum that houses her, slightly hidden away in shadow. I am glad I do not need to fight through people to gain an audience with her.

Today I went to see her, my soul was calling to her and I had to obey. It's an odd thing when you get a calling to something, I doubt I shall ever be able to explain it.

The Budhisattva has a vow, of which there are a number of variations. The vow will perhaps explain in part why she has come to such great meaning in my life. When I look at her gentle face I can almost feel her breath the words, her eyes knowing the writing in my heart.  My palm would like to press into hers to feel the warmth of her being; her blessing. This will not happen so I sit as close to her as I am permitted and smile back.

Budhisattva Vow:

May I be a guard for those who are protector less,
A guide for those who journey on the road;
For those who wish to go across the water,
May I be a boat, a raft, a bridge.

May I be an isle for those who yearn for landfall,
And a lamp for those who long for light;
For those who need a resting place, a bed,
For all who need a servant, may I be a slave.

May I be the wishing jewel, the vase of plenty,
A word of power, and the supreme remedy.
May I be the trees off miracles,
And for every being, the abundant cow.

Like the great earth and the other elements,
Enduring as the sky itself endures,
For the boundless multitude of living beings,
May I be the ground and vessel of their life.

Thus, for every single thing that lives,
In number like the boundless reaches of the sky,
May I be their sustenance and nourishment
Until they pass beyond the bounds of suffering.

1 comment:

Kathryn Dyche said...

What an amazing confidante to have, I'm happy that she brings you some sense of peace. Stay strong little un. x